If you produce or edit video, you might like to know that I’m selling my Mac Pro system. It’s a little overkill for what I need at home right now, so if you need a powerful video system, read on.
If you’re in Seattle, see the Craigslist ad.
- Mac Pro “Eight Core” 2.8 (Early 2008) ($2800 value), upgraded with:
- 20 GB RAM — 800 MHz DDR2 EEC “fully-buffered” FB-DIMM memory ($465 value)
- (3) SATA hard drives, totaling 3.5 TB of storage ($250 value)
- Double-layer 16X CD-RW/DVD±RW-DL “SuperDrive”
- LG SuperMulti Blu 10X Blu-ray rewriter optical drive ($50 value)
- nVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac graphics processor with 2 GB of GDDR5 memory, a dual-link DVI port, and a DisplayPort ($750 value)
- Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 PCIe Card ($110 value)
- NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G Pro PCIe Controller Card ($40 value)
- AJA Kona LHi video capture and playback card ($1500 value), with:
- AJA KLHi-Box rack-mount I/O breakout box ($350 value)
- Mac power cable, video connection cables, etc.
This Mac Pro has been used as a professional video workstation for a couple of years, on many nationally-broadcast cable TV shows, and is in excellent working order. I am only selling because I have given up my glamorous freelance life for a “real job” with a company (gasp!) and no longer need this much power in my home office.
The hardware still functions perfectly, runs the latest version of Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, and can run the latest Final Cut Pro X and Adobe CC apps, like Premiere and After Effects.* The only known issue is that the side panel locking mechanism has a bent lever, so the side panel will not secure with a padlock, in case you’re going to be using it in an area where little gnomes come at night and steal your PCI cards. However, the side panel stays in place just fine under normal use.
*Third party software not included. Unless you’re looking for old copies of Final Cut Studio and FCP 7, which I would totally be willing to throw in.
This package represents an investment of over $6,300 (the Kona and breakout box alone are over $1,800!), but I’m only asking $2100 for EVERYTHING.
Email me today with any questions, for more details, or to arrange pick-up.
Please scroll down for more specs.
About the Mac Pro:
The Mac Pro “Eight Core” 2.8 (Early 2008) is powered by two 2.8 GHz Quad Core 45-nm Intel Xeon E5462 (Harpertown/Penryn) processors with 12 MB of level 2 cache per processor (each pair of cores shares 6 MB), a 128-bit SSE4 SIMD vector engine, and 1.6 GHz “64-bit dual independent frontside buses.”
The machine has been wiped, with a clean install of Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
- Two (2) external 5.25″ “optical” bays
- Four (4) internal 3.5″ “cable-free, direct attach” hard drive bays
- Two (2) PCIe x4 slots, and two (2) PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, for a total of four (4) PCIe slots
- Dual (2) Gigabit Ethernet
- Five (5) USB 2.0 ports
- Two (2) Firewire “400” ports
- Two (2) Firewire “800” ports
- Optical digital audio in/out
- Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
- Two (2) USB3 (on Sonnet card)
- Two (2) eSATA ports (on NewerTech card)
- Kona LHi card and breakout box with support for analog, SDI, and HDMI video input and output.
Load up the system report in System Information (née System Profiler) to see all of the exact specs.
About the Kona LHi
KONA LHi provides a wide variety of formats, frame rates and audio/video sources for the connectivity you need. KONA LHi bridges the gap between analog devices and the latest 3G SDI and HDMI-enabled products to provide editing, monitoring and mastering of professional quality video in an affordable, powerful, easy to use product.
- Frame rates and resolutions including SD and HD, up to 1080p60 and 2Kp30
- Capture and play back digital SDI and HDMI 1.3a in 10-bit deep color, as well as analog Component, S-Video (with Y-adapter), and Composite in SD and HD
- Capture and play back audio via embedded SDI, as well as the balanced analog (XLR), digital AES/EBU (XLR and BNC) and RCA audio monitoring jacks.
- Up-convert and down-convert between formats, and output simultaneously in different video formats via cross-conversion.
Please see AJA’s Tech Specs page for more details.
Thanks for reading! Email me today to schedule pickup!
Craigslist boilerplate: Local, in-person sales only. Cash, local bank cashier’s cheque, or USPS Money Order only. No other money orders or personal/business checks accepted. Sold as-is. No after-sales support. No shirts, no shoes, no service. You come, you pay, you go away.
- for sale