Ahhh… Finally back to normal.

This post was published more than a few years ago (on 2004-03-17) and may contain inaccurate technical information, outmoded thoughts, or cringe takes. Proceed at your own risk.

I finally got my database straightened out, it looks like, so postings will resume shortly (I certainly have a number of things to catch up on).

If you'd like to know the nitty-gritty of how I fixed it, read the extended entry. Otherwise, just bask in the glow of the return of SitM. 😉

The problem occurred when I moved from the old server to the new one-- the same computer, really, but totally new OS installation from a pirated copy of Mac OS X Server 10.2.8 to a totally legit copy of 10.3.2, and then 10.3.3. Yes, I used to think that sort of thing wasn't really hurting anyone, but now that I'm a businessman, I am persuaded to be all legit and such. Besides, now I can actually afford the seemingly exorbitant amount that Apple charges for the Server, which was the real issue all along. But, I digress. Frequently.

Anyway, the process of moving the MySQL databases started out the same way. On the old server, go into the Terminal and do this:

mysqldump -h [host] -u [user] -p [database] > [dump file]

Then, on the new server, I tried importing that file with YourSQL or phpMyAdmin, both of which gave me parsing errors.

Then I tried this, from the AzPHP Mailing List Archive:

mysql -h [host] -u [user] -p [database] < [dump file]

Which seemed to work wonderfully on the forums at Lookit-Intense Films, but for SITM, it left me with a garbled mess of seemingly randomized posts. After a lot of hemming and hawing, I came up with this solution, in part from the Adobe Developer Knowledgebase:

mysql -u [user] -p
create database [database];
use [database];
source [dump file];

Note that the semi-colons are important (ommitted on the Adobe page), as mysql needs these to tell when each command ends.

This seemed to work smashingly, and everything looks back to normal. Huzzah!