I’m updating an app to make it easier to subscribe to a podcast in your listener app of choice, and am trying to see which URL schemes work with which apps. So far, I have:
- podcast:// — opens in Instacast 2.x — podcast://www.aalgar.com/the-sarcastic-voyage-podcast.xml
- pcast:// — opens in Apple Podcasts, [or Instacast 1.x on iOS 5.x (not tested)] — pcast://www.aalgar.com/the-sarcastic-voyage-podcast.xml
- itpc:// — opens in Instacast — itpc://www.aalgar.com/the-sarcastic-voyage-podcast.xml
- icast:// — I saw this reported as an Instacast scheme, but it doesn’t seem to be valid on iOS 6 and Instacast 2.x — icast://www.aalgar.com/the-sarcastic-voyage-podcast.xml
- http:// (direct link) — opens in Apple Podcasts — http://www.aalgar.com/the-sarcastic-voyage-podcast.xml
- http:// (iTunes link) — opens in Apple Podcasts, or iTunes app (if Apple Podcasts app is not installed) — http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-sarcastic-voyage-podcast/id326579606
If you have other apps and URL schemes that will open podcast feed URLs on iOS, I’d love to know about them in the comments.