This post was published more than a few years ago (on 2014-06-12) and may contain inaccurate technical information, outmoded thoughts, or cringe takes. Proceed at your own risk.
These are the “show notes” from my How to App Video talk at Seattle Xcoders, on May 21, 2014 at 7:00 pm.
Slides, AV Script Format, and Videos
- My Xcoders talk was recorded and now available on Seattle Xcoders Vimeo account (and embedded above)!
- My Slide Deck — not sure how helpful this is without the talk, but there it is. These are actually the slides from the previous presentation of this talk at Renaissance 2014, but very little has changed, aside from MouseTools, and including both Mac and iOS instead of just iOS.
- AV Format Markdown CSS (on GitHub) to use in BBEdit, Marked, and Ulysses
- If you’re printing out the script from BBEdit, and want the shading to print behind the video side of the script, check out the instructions in this post.
- At the moment, BBEdit doesn’t obey the CSS page break styles when printing, to avoid weird widow/orphan issues. It seems it’s an Apple Web View bug, and they are working on a solution for that.
- Final OmniOutliner View Settings “Support Short” video from The Omni Group
- Final Tell Your App Story, with Briefs video from MartianCraft
- Final Attack of the Giant Amazon! spec spot, and a behind-the-scenes video on how we did some of the special effects.
- Telestream ScreenFlow — Mac screen recording app
- App Dynamic AirServer — AirPlay to your Mac and record what you stream
- You may not need AirServer in the near future — check out WWDC 2014 Session 304 for information about recording iOS 8 devices with QuickTime Player on OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
- Apple Final Cut Pro — for editing
- Adobe After Effects — animation and compositing
- Rode Podcaster USB Dynamic Microphone is a great USB mic at a decent price.
- MouseTools — app and source code for scripting smooth movement of the mouse on the Mac.
- How to Chroma Key in Final Cut Pro X
- Imagineer Systems Mocha AE — planar tracker, to track the real crean that you’ll composite your fake screen into
- CoreMelt TrackX — motion tracking for Final Cut Pro X
- Apple Compressor — to compress file size of video to share with your team and upload to your website.
- Wipster to share work-in-progress video with clients and team members, to gather feedback.
- Vimeo, YouTube, and Video.js players to distribute your video
- Web Video Text Track (WebVTT) Specification for accessibility captions
- Jubler — subtitle editor
- Indian-head test pattern
- A partial list of my pre-Omni credits on IMDb
- Post Atomic Horror Unofficial Star Trek Episode Guide — Not currently available while we retool for new content and make it less broken on iOS 8, but you can still read about it.
- I’m @swizzlevixen on Twitter, and I curate the RSS feeds that power the @objectivec Twitter account, and its mirror on alpha.app.net
- The Optical podcast and blog, where I talk about how movies are made. The Optical also has a Twitter account.
- Jaws Script
- Video frame rates — 24, 30, 60, etc.
- Video interlacing